Part-Time Professional Tutors (Writing Center) (Multiple Positions)
1. BA/BS in English or related discipline is required.
2. A miminum of one year experience teaching secondary English OR a minimum of one year experience tutoring writing in a secondary or post-secondary setting or a professional tutoring center setting OR a minimum of one year experience as a writer in a professional setting is required.
DUTIES: In addition to adhering to guidelines as specified by the Wallace Community College Personnel Handbook, the Alabama State Board of Education, and Wallace Community College’s President, duties will include the following: The Writing Center tutors will be responsible for conducting tutoring sessions with students (clients) who visit The Writing Center by assess their needs, and assist the clients with their writing concerns. Tutors will also assist The Writing Center Coordinator and Director with the day-to-day operations of the writing center including providing assistance with preparing Title III data and reports for submission to the Department of Education.
SALARY: $20.00 per hour, not to exceed 19 hours per week.
APPLICATION DEADLINE/PROCEDURE: Complete application packets will be accepted by the Human Resources Office on a continuous basis and remain active for available positions. Available positions are contingent upon enrollment and the instructional needs of the College. A complete application packet consists of:
1. Completed Wallace Community College employment application
3. Cover letter describing specifically how your experience and qualifications meet the minimum qualifications as outline below:
a. A miminum of one year experience teaching secondary English OR a minimum of one year experience tutoring writing in a secondary or post-secondary setting or a professional tutoring center setting OR a minimum of one year experience as a writer in a professional setting.
4. Employment verification letter(s) verifying a miminum of one year experience teaching secondary English OR a minimum of one year experience tutoring writing in a secondary or post-secondary setting or a professional tutoring center setting OR a minimum of one year experience as a writer in a professional setting. Letter(s) must include employment dates and job title and be on official letterhead with an authorized personnel signature.
5. Appropriate transcript (official or unofficial) identifying the applicant, institution, date degree conferred and verifying the applicant has received the minimum required degree.
Applicants must meet eligibility requirements to work in the U.S. at time of appointment. All application materials must be submitted as a complete packet and will become the property of the College. Applicants who fail to submit all required information will be disqualified. An application is available at www.wallace.edu or by calling (334) 556-2484 or (800) 543-2426, Ext. 2484. The College will not accept electronically submitted (fax, e-mail, etc.) application materials. Applications should be submitted to:
WALLACE COMMUNITY COLLEGE
HUMAN RESOURCES OFFICE
1141 WALLACE DR
DOTHAN AL 36303-0943
In accordance with Alabama Community College System policy and guidelines, the applicant chosen for employment will be required to sign a consent form for a criminal background check. Employment will be contingent upon receipt of a clearance notification from a criminal background check. This employer participates in E-Verify.
If you have a disability and require accommodations, please notify us at (334) 556-2484.
Wallace Community College is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is the official policy of the Alabama Department of Postsecondary Education, including postsecondary institutions under the control of the State Board of Education, that no person shall, on the grounds of race, color, handicap, gender, religion, creed, national origin, or age, be excluded from participation in, be denied the benefits of, or be subjected to discrimination under any program, activity, or employment. Wallace Community College will make reasonable accommodations for qualified disabled applicants or employees. The College reserves the right to withdraw this job announcement at any time prior to the awarding.