About Student Support Services
Student Support Services (SSS) is a federally-funded TRIO Program under the U.S. Department of Education that aids students in graduating from college. Program participants must meet certain requirements set forth by the Department of Education. TRiO Student Support Services at Wallace Community College is committed to providing intensive, supportive, and proactive services that prepare students for a rigorous educational pursuit. Wallace Community College is equal opportunity affiliations and, therefore, does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, religion, or disability in admission or access to their programs.
Intensive, supportive, and proactive services that prepare students for a rigorous educational pursuit
TRiO SSS will focus its attention on preparing students to transfer to four-year colleges and universities. Therefore, the TRiO SSS staff will take a holistic approach to ensure that its participants engage in a multifaceted experience during their first two years of college.
- Provide academic tutorial assistance using both professional and peer tutors.
- Provide supplemental instruction in English, reading, and mathematics
Social preparation (networking)
- Find innovative ways to assist moderate and low income families to secure funding for education
- Assist in completing and filing the FAFSA (Free Application Federal Student Aid)
- Search and find available scholarships and other aids for participants
- Develop awareness of financial needs and economic restraints as well as the budgetary skills and the knowledge to resolve such crisis.
- Develop a network of professional advocates in selected field of studies
- Solidify college access for participants through a network of partners at four-year colleges and universities.
- Facilitate on-going communications with professional mentors and participants.
“One transferee is the gateway for others to achieve their highest educational pursuit.”