About the College
George C. Wallace State Technical Trade School was established by the Alabama Regional Trade School Act of 1947. In 1955, the name of the institution was changed to George C. Wallace State Vocational Trade School, and on May 3, 1963, by decree of the Alabama State Legislature, the institution became George C. Wallace State Technical Junior College. In response to a recommendation by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools (SACS), the technical school and junior college were united in 1969 to form South Alabama’s first comprehensive community college. The Commission on Colleges of SACS accredited George C. Wallace State Community College (WCC) to award associate degrees and certificates in 1969, and accreditation was reaffirmed in 1973, 1984, 1994, and 2002.
The 1997 merger between WCC and Alabama Aviation and Technical College in Ozark and Mobile was followed in 1999 by the merger of WCC and Sparks State Technical College in Eufaula. In 2003, the Aviation Campus in Ozark and Aviation Center in Mobile merged with Enterprise State Junior College to enable it to become a community college. WCC now includes the Wallace Campus in Dothan and the Sparks Campus in Eufaula. WCC also provides correctional education programs at Easterling Correctional Facility in Clio, Alabama, and Ventress Correctional Facility in Clayton, Alabama.