Mission and More
STATEMENT OF MISSION
George C. Wallace Community College, a comprehensive community college, seeks to provide accessible quality educational opportunities, promote economic growth, and enhance the quality of life of its constituents.
STATEMENT OF VISION
George C. Wallace Community College will be a leading community college, nationally recognized for excellence and innovation in education and student success. The College will be the primary choice of citizens preparing for the job market, seeking an associate or advanced degree, and/or pursuing career advancement or personal development. College partnerships with area schools, business and industry, and governmental agencies will contribute to an educational system that enhances economic development and quality of life in the region.
STATEMENT OF VALUES
George C. Wallace Community College respects the diversity of its student body and recognizes the worth and potential of each student. Therefore, the College affirms the following values:
- Commitment to Students
Belief in providing quality, accessible instruction, resources, and support services to enhance the growth and development of students.
- Commitment to Faculty and Staff
Belief in the importance of providing a work and learning environment characterized by integrity, clear communications, open exchange of ideas, involvement in decision making, and respect for all individuals.
- Commitment to Community
Belief in enhancing the economic vitality and quality of life for all citizens of the community.
- Commitment to Diversity
Belief in acknowledging and respecting the diversity of the community.
- Commitment to Excellence
Belief in the pursuit of excellence in all College programs and services.
STATEMENT OF ROLE AND SCOPE
The College fulfills its mission through a clearly defined set of programs and services that include the following:
- College-level Credit Programs
The College offers credit courses leading to associate degrees and certificates in career/technical fields and transfer majors.
- Continuing Education Programs
The College provides professional and personal development opportunities for individuals, agencies, and business and industry.
- Economic Development Programs
The College provides workforce training for new and expanding industries and assists in recruiting business and industry to the region.
- Student Development Programs and Services
The College offers programs and services to enrolled and prospective students to enhance their opportunities for success and their potential for personal, educational, and professional growth.
- Support Programs and Services
The College provides recruitment, evaluation, counseling, and instructional programs and services that increase access and opportunities for success for students not traditionally served by higher education.
STRATEGIC INITIATIVES AND RELATED GOALS
Strategic Initiative I: The Student Success and Completion Agenda
- GOAL A: Increase the number/percentage of applicants who enroll in classes.
- GOAL B: Increase enrollments in high-demand career and technical programs.
SERVICES TO STUDENTS
- GOAL A: Increase fall-to-fall retention rates among students enrolled in all programs.
- GOAL B: Demonstrate excellent student ratings of services to students.
- GOAL A: Increase class retention and pass rates in English, mathematics, and reading each year.
- GOAL B: Achieve and/or maintain pass rates above state and/or national averages on licensure and certification examinations.
- GOAL C: Increase graduation and completion rates through improved retention and reverse transfer degree awards.
- GOAL D: Demonstrate constant improvement of academic program quality.
- GOAL A: Provide Professional Development opportunities responsive to the needs of faculty, staff, and administration.
- GOAL A: Develop, implement, and measure the effectiveness of a comprehensive and integrated marketing, communications, and public relations program for internal and external primary audiences.
Strategic Initiative II: The Workforce Development Agenda
Strategic Initiative III: The Infrastructure Agenda
- GOAL A: Increase participation and expand scope of workforce development activities in support of the region’s businesses and industries.
- GOAL B: Complete the integration of adult education programs and activities into the career pathways workforce development initiative along with GED attainment.
- GOAL C: Increase the application of portable, stackable, industry recognized credentials, certificates, and licenses.
FACILITIES AND EQUIPMENT
Strategic Initiative IV: The Fiscal Stability Agenda
- GOAL A: Develop, implement, and monitor a comprehensive technology plan.
- GOAL B: Update, implement, and monitor the comprehensive Campus Security Plan.
- GOAL C: Update, implement, and monitor the Facilities Master Plan.
- GOAL D: Maintain facilities and infrastructure in support of the mission and purposes of the College.
- GOAL A: Ensure the College budget and expenditures represent fiscal soundness, good stewardship, and support the achievement of the mission and goals of the institution.