Home » Financial Aid » Veterans Benefits » Chapter 1607
Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Print this Page Email to a Friend

Chapter 1607 – Reserve Educational Assistance (REAP)

The National Defense Authorization Act of 2016 ended REAP on November 25, 2015.  Some individuals will remain eligible for REAP benefits until November 25, 2019, while others are no longer eligible for REAP benefits.

REAP was established as a part of the Ronald W. Reagan National Defense Authorization Act for Fiscal Year 2005. It is a Department of Defense education benefit program designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency (contingency operation) as declared by the President or Congress. This program makes certain reservists who were activated for at least 90 days after September 11, 2001 either eligible for education benefits or eligible for increased benefits.

Some reservists may contribute up to an additional $600 to the GI Bill to receive increased monthly benefits. For an additional $600 contribution, you may receive up to $5400 in additional GI Bill benefits. You must be a member of a Ready Reserve component (Selected Reserve, Individual Ready Reserve, or Inactive National Guard) to pay into the "buy-up" program.

Beginning August 1, 2011, break (or interval pay) will no longer be payable under REAP except during periods your school is closed as a result of an Executive Order of the President or an emergency (such as a natural disaster or strike). For example, if your Fall term ends on December 15th and your Spring term begins January 10th, your January housing allowance will cover 15 days in December and your February housing allowance will cover 21 days in January.

Proper documentation must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office by the student in order to originate the processing of VA enrollment certifications and related processes.

Required documents include:

New VA beneficiary

Transfer from prior college OR change program of study

  • 22-1995, Change of Major or Place of Training
    (print, sign and submit to the Financial Aid Office)
  • 22-1999, Application for Advance Payment - certain restrictions apply;
    obtain this form in the Financial Aid Office
  • VA Information Sheet (print, sign and submit to the Financial Aid Office)