Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Print this Page Email to a Friend

Dual Enrollment FAQ's

When do dual enrollment classes meet? All dual enrollment classes adhere to the Wallace Community College semester calendar, regardless of location. A course schedule for each semester is available in a printed version or downloaded from Wallace Community College follows a schedule of three terms: fall, spring, and summer semesters.

What are the fees and tuition for these courses?
Tuition and fees are the same as any other college class, regardless of location, and are payable on the same schedule as any Wallace Community College student. This schedule can be found under the Business Office link on our website.

How do these courses measure with the credits required for high school?
On September 13, 2018, the Alabama State Board of Education amended the Alabama Administrative Code, Rule No. 290-3-1-.02, pertaining to secondary course credit awarded for post-secondary coursework through dual enrollment. The revised rule now includes the following language:  "Semester credit hours at the post-secondary level courses specifically named as a requirement for graduation as outlined in AAC Rule 290-3-1-.02(8)(a) are determined according to guidelines established by the State Department of Education. Partial/full credit agreements shall be developed between the local board of education and participating post-secondary institutions for courses that are excluded from the SDE guidelines for assigning credit."  
The local LEA determines what is reflected on the high school transcript based off of the approved dual enrollment course list.   

Are dual enrollment classes the same as any other college class?
The courses offered are taught as any other college class with fully-credentialed Wallace Community College faculty using the same textbooks and syllabi whether taught on a high school campus or on a WCC campus.

What steps are suggested for becoming a dual enrolled student?
First of all, students should talk to their parent or guardian for his or her support and permission. Secondly, students should talk with their high school counselor to decide if the program is the right choice and to gather assistance in completing the necessary paperwork. Next, the counselor will contact the dual enrollment coordinator to set up the admissions process. Students may contact the dual enrollment coordinator directly, but the information will ultimately be shared with the high school counselor to verify eligibility and coursework. The next step would be to take the ACT or Accuplacer test for course placement, if needed. The final step includes the actual course registration and the payment of tuition and fees.

Is the Accuplacer test required to dual enroll?
The Accuplacer test is not required for an admission. However, if a student plans to take an English or math class and has not taken the SAT or ACT, the Accuplacer test is required for placement.

What scores do I need on my ACT to place in English 101 and math classes?
An 18 or higher on the English portion of the ACT is required for enrollment in English 101.

Students planning to take a math course with an ACT mathematics score of 18 or higher are exempted from the Accuplacer placement test. Placement of these students will be evaluated using the following criteria:
ACT math score 18-21 Math 100 Intermediate College Algebra
ACT math score 22 Math 110 (Finite Mathematics) or Math 112 (Pre-calculus with Algebra)
ACT math score 23-24 Math 113 (Pre-calculus with Trig)
ACT math score 25 or higher Math 125 Calculus I

Dually Enrolled Students cannot be placed in math classes with a co-requisite as traditional students.  

What else should I know?
Students should work very closely with their guidance counselors during the process of admission. Students may also contact Wallace Community College’s dual enrollment department at or 556-2423 for more information.