Home » Financial Aid » Scholarships and Other Forms of Assistance
Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Print this Page Email to a Friend

Scholarships and Other Forms of Assistance

Wallace Community College has a limited number of institutional scholarships that are awarded primarily to students who excel academically, exhibit outstanding leadership skills, or possess talent in the area of music or the arts.  Institutional scholarships are tuition and fee waivers that cover 100% of in-state tuition and mandatory fees.

Academic – These scholarships are based on academic achievement.  Eligible students must meet all high school graduation requirements and have and maintain a 3.0 grade point average.

Allied Health and Nursing – These scholarships are based on academic achievement for students enrolling in allied health and nursing programs.  Eligible students must have and maintain a 3.0 grade point average.

Athletic – The College awards athletic scholarships for men’s baseball and women’s softball.  Tuition is provided for up to two academic years.  Fees for each term of scholarship support are also waived.  Students receiving athletic scholarships must participate in and be declared eligible for the sport under which they signed the scholarship agreement.  Interested students should contact the College Athletic Director.

Leadership Development Program – The Leadership Development cohort will serve as official student representatives of Wallace Community College.  The following criteria are in place to be eligible for membership: 

FOR CURRENT STUDENTS – Have at least a 3.0 cumulative college GPA; participate as an active member in one or more of the organized extracurricular activities on campus or in the community. FOR INCOMING STUDENTS – Have at least a 3.0 high school GPA and serve in a key leadership role (President, Vice President or Captain/Co-Captain) on your high school campus. Preferred: Possess exemplary citizenship qualities-character, service, and leadership on campus and in the community; working with students from diverse backgrounds; ability to interact and work with a variety of personnel and meet deadlines; ability to manage several tasks at the same time; FOR INCOMING STUDENTS, preference will be given to those students who have participated in the College’s dual enrollment program.

More information may be obtained on the Leadership Development Cohort page.

Fine Arts Scholarships – These scholarships are awarded to talented students for participation in the areas of Vocal, Instrumental, Piano, and the Visual Arts. Eligible students must meet, and maintain minimum criteria per the requirements of the scholarship awarded. Learn more on the Fine Arts Scholarship page.

Technical – These scholarships are based on academic achievement in technical and general education courses as well as recommendations from high school teachers and counselors.  Eligible students must have and maintain a 2.5 grade point average.

Senior Citizen Waivers – Students age 60 or over may enroll in credit courses, tuition free, at Wallace Community College if space is available.  Fees and other costs, including books, are paid by the senior adult student.  Senior citizens granted a tuition waiver under the Senior Adult Scholarship program may receive such waiver only one time per course.

Foundation Scholarships – The Wallace Campus Foundation and the Sparks Campus Foundation offer scholarships each semester to new and returning students.  Scholarship applications are available on the College’s website at www.wallace.edu on the Current Scholarship Opportunities page, approximately four weeks prior to the deadline. (Fall semester scholarship applications will be available mid June with a July deadline; Spring semester applications will be available late September with an October deadline; Summer semester scholarship applications will be available late February with a late March deadline.)

Other – Wallace Community College also offers a number of privately funded scholarships through external agencies.  These scholarships may have specific requirements beyond those established by the College.  Consideration is given to students who meet requirements set forth in the respective scholarship guidelines.  Applications may be found on the Current Scholarship Opportunities page as they become available.

Other Forms of Financial Assistance

State Vocational Rehabilitation.  Students with certain disabilities that interfere with their ability to work or attend college may be eligible for assistance through the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services Office.  Rehabilitation services may provide assistance with all costs associated with school attendance.  For additional information, contact the Alabama Department of Rehabilitation Services Office.

Workforce Innovation and Opportunity Act (WIOA).  This Act was designed to provide training to individuals who are unemployed, underemployed, unskilled, or recently dislocated from a job because of layoff or plant closure.  Assistance through the WIA program includes tuition, fees, books, tools, and supplies.  Eligibility for a daily training allowance is assessed on an individual basis.  For information, contact the local state employment service in your home county.

The Trade Adjustment Act (TAA).  This Act was designed to assist individuals in returning to suitable employment after becoming unemployed as a result of increased foreign imports.  The TAA provides funds for individual referral training if the applicant meets all requirements.  For information, contact the local state employment service in your home county.

Prepaid Affordable College Tuition (PACT).  Students who wish to utilize their PACT plan should contact the Financial Aid Office at 334-556-2479 or email finaid@wallace.edu.  All students should have their PACT plan in place prior to the registration period.

For information on PACT, visit the PACT website at www.treasury.alabama.gov/PACT.  If you have questions, please contact the PACT staff at 800-252-7228 or alapact@treasury.alabama.gov.


Wallace Community College does not participate in the Federal Student Loan program; however, the Financial Aid Office will process private student loans as requested by students.