Home » Financial Aid » Veterans Benefits » Chapter 1606
Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Print this Page Email to a Friend

Chapter 1606 - Selected Reserve (MGIB-SR)

The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve. The Selected Reserve includes the Army Reserve, Navy Reserve, Air Force Reserve, Marine Corps Reserve and Coast Guard Reserve, and the Army National Guard and the Air National Guard.

Eligibility for this program is determined by the Selected Reserve components. VA makes the payments for this program.

You may be entitled to receive up to 36 months of education benefits.

Your eligibility for the program normally ends on the day you leave the Selected Reserve.

One exception to this rule exists if you are mobilized (or recalled to active duty from your reserve status), in this case your eligibility may be extended for the amount of time you are mobilized PLUS four months. For example, if you are mobilized for 12 months your eligibility period is extended for 16 months (12 months active duty PLUS 4 months.) So even if you leave the reserves after mobilization, you may have additional eligibility to the MGIB-SR.

If your unit is deactivated during the period beginning on October 1, 2007 through September 30, 2014 or you are involuntarily separated (for reasons other than misconduct) you will retain your original period of eligibility which is 14 years from the date of your first 6 year obligation with the selected reserves.

Beginning August 1, 2011, break (or interval pay) will no longer be payable under MGIB-SR except during periods your school is closed as a result of an Executive Order of the President or an emergency (such as a natural disaster or strike). For example, if your Fall term ends on December 15th and your Spring term begins January 10th, your January housing allowance will cover 15 days in December and your February housing allowance will cover 21 days in January.

Proper documentation must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office by the student in order to originate the processing of VA enrollment certifications and related processes.

Required documents include:

New VA beneficiary

  • Apply online at Application for GI Bill Benefits or by completing a copy of 22-1990 Application.
  • Provide the Financial Aid Office with a copy of your 22-1990 Application OR Certificate of Eligibility from VA.
  • 22-1999, Application for Advance Payment - certain restrictions apply;
    obtain this form in the Financial Aid Office
  • VA Information Sheet (print, sign and submit to the Financial Aid Office)

Transfer from prior college OR change program of study

  • 22-1995, Change of Major or Place of Training
    (print, sign and submit to the Financial Aid Office) 22-1999, Application for Advance Payment (Certain Restrictions Apply)
  • VA Information Sheet (print, sign and submit to the Financial Aid Office)