Home » Financial Aid » Veterans Benefits » Chapter 33
Increase Font Size Decrease Font Size Print this Page Email to a Friend

Chapter 33 - The Post-9/11 GI-Bill

The Post-9/11 GI Bill has been in effect since August 1, 2009. Approved training under the Post-9/11 GI Bill includes graduate and undergraduate degrees, vocational/technical training, on-the-job training, flight training, correspondence training, licensing and national testing programs, entrepreneurship training, and tutorial assistance. All training programs must be approved for GI Bill benefits.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill provides financial support for education and housing to individuals with at least 90 days of aggregate service after September 10, 2001, or individuals discharged with a service-connected disability after 30 days. You must have received an honorable discharge to be eligible for the Post-9/11 GI Bill.

The Post 9-11 GI Bill will pay your full tuition & fees directly to the school for all public school in-state students.

This benefit provides up to 36 months of education benefits.  Generally benefits are payable for 15 years following your release from active duty.

The Post-9/11 GI Bill also offers some service members the opportunity to transfer their GI Bill to dependents.

Beginning August 1, 2011, break (or interval pay) will no longer be payable under MGIB-AD except during periods your school is closed as a result of an Executive Order of the President or an emergency (such as a natural disaster or strike). For example, if your Fall term ends on December 15th and your Spring term begins January 10th, your January housing allowance will cover 15 days in December and your February housing allowance will cover 21 days in January.

Upon the receipt of the Certificate of Eligibility in the Financial Aid Office, students will be allowed to charge their tuition and fees, for classes within their degree program, and up to the allowable percentage as established by VA.

Proper documentation must be submitted to the Financial Aid Office by the student in order to originate the processing of VA enrollment certifications and related processes.

Required documents include:

New VA beneficiary

Transfer from prior college OR change program of study

  • 22-1995 – Change of Major or Place of Training
    (print, sign and submit to the Financial Aid Office)
  • VA Information Sheet (print, sign and submit to the Financial Aid Office)