WHAT IS TRIO STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES?
TRiO Student Support Services is a comprehensive academic support program designed to increase the retention and graduation rates with first-generation, low-income or disabled college students at Wallace Community College. TRIO SSS helps students develop the academic mindset and motivation necessary to be successful not only here at WCC, and in their future professional endeavors. The program is designed to consider all aspects of a student’s educational journey. The services are provided free to eligible students in an effort to ensure that the student’s postsecondary experience is a successful one. Additionally:
- TRIO SSS is 100% funded through competitive grants from the U.S. Department of Education.
- The program has its own administrative structure, mission statement, program theory, data collection process, and evaluation plan.
- The program only serves 365 students a year between the Wallace and Sparks campuses.
- All TRIO SSS activities relate to specific and measurable performance objectives and the project is required to submit an annual performance report to demonstrate accountability
- There is an intake process to identify students additional information and begin the process of creating a execution plan for completion of their desired program.
WHO IS ELIGIBLE TO PARTICIPATE?
Because TRIO SSS is federally funded the eligibility criteria are stringent. Students must be:
- Enrolled or accepted for enrollment WCC
- A citizen or permanent resident
Meet at least one of the following:
- Pell eligible or low family income as determined by federal guidelines
- Be a first generation college student (neither parent has a Bachelor’s degree)
- Have a documented physical or learning disability
HOW DOES TRIO SSS WORK?
TRIO SSS specifically targets low-income, first generation college students and students with disabilities, because they are historically under-represented in higher education, and persist and graduate at a rate than much lower non-TRIO-eligible students. The program provides a wide variety of services, including but not limited to:
- Academic advising/ Counseling
- Transfer Advising/ Counseling
- Professional Tutoring
- Financial Literacy Education
- Supplemental Grant Aid ( for eligible students)
- Major and Career Exploration
- 4-Year University/College Tours
- Cultural Enrichment Activities
WHAT SETS TRIO SSS APART FROM OTHER SUPPORT SERVICES ON CAMPUS?
Comprehensive services and individual attention set us apart. TRIO SSS involves itself in academic decisions, financial aid issues, tutoring, engagement activities, professional development and more. Additionally, because we serve only a small percentage of the student body, we can provide more reinforcement to each participant.
“One transferee is the gateway for others to achieve their highest educational pursuit.” – Our Motto